Khel Mahakumbh – About us
Excellence in sports brings pride to a nation and citizens of the nation help build a healthier and happier society. Sports unites the nation by bridging the social and cultural boundaries.
There is no easier way other than sports to promote brotherhood and community bonding. It is a great leveler and unifier- when playing in a team, the caste, creed or community of teammates doesn’t matter.
Under the guidance of visionary leadership of Shri Narendra Modi, Prime minister of India and the then chief minister of Gujarat took initiative of ‘’KhelMahakumbh’’ ( KMK ), mega sporting event in year 2010.
This year, KMK is converged under the National Event-“Khelo India” and will follow the guidelines for the competitions. Also, the Sports event conducted by Primary Education Department and District Institute of Education and Training (DIET) is also included in KMK.
Khel mahakumbh has witnessed a record participation of more than 24 lacs every years.
Outstanding performers of KMK will get benefit of various Schemes run by Sports Authority of Gujarat; District Level Sports School(DLSS), Shaktidoot, Centre of Excellence(COE), Khele Gujarat Summer Coaching Camp and In School Programme.
Age Group for Khel Mahakumbh 2016
For Both Male & Female : Under 9 , Under 11 , Under 14, Under 17, Open Age Group , Above 40 & Above 60
Salient features of Khel Mahakumbh 2016
1. Khelo India and Khel mahakumbh to be held together.
2. Cash prize of Rs 42 crore to more than 3 lacs winner at different level.
3.DIET ( GCERT - Gujarat Council of Educational Research and Training ) competition is a part of Khel Mahakumbh.
4. Total 30 Games , 505 events. More than 50,000 participants at state level.
5. Online sports quiz part of Khel Mahakumbh.
6. Separate competition for teachers.
7.Best three schools in state to be given cash prize of Rs 5 lacs, Rs 3 lacs & Rs 2 lacs.
8.Best three schools in each district to get cash prize of Rs 1.5 lacs, Rs 1 lac & Rs 0.75 lac for promotions of sports.
9.Kabaddi World Cup to be hosted in Ahmedabad from 7th October .
Salient features of Khel Mahakumbh 2015
1. In the year 2015-16, 24.80 lacs players participated.
2. Total 1,68,000 winners and distributed cash prize of Rs 30 crore. More than 40,000 players on State Level Competitions .
3. More than 75,000 volunteers to manage competition at various level over period of 45 days.
4. Special Khel Mahakumbh for Divyang players ( Specially abled ) Participation of more than 11,500 players . Cash prize of Rs 5 Crore for Divyang players.